With an abundance of vitamin C, this summer vegetable easily qualifies for a serving of your vitamin C vegetables, but that's not all you're getting for your growing baby. You also get molybdenum, B vitamins galore (think folate, b1, 2, 3 and 6, along with magnesium, phosphorus, copper, potassium, manganese, and even a slight helping of omega-3 fatty acids. It is rich in antioxidants, and carotenoids (specifically lutein and zeaxanthin). Leave the skin intact for the best pregnancy benefits, but be sure to buy organic if it's in the budget.
Since some people tend not to like this veggie (my kiddos definitely do not), I grated an entire large zucchini into some sweet bread and just left it on the counter for when the kids came home. It was completely inhaled within a few minutes of the kiddos hitting the door, and they didn't even realize they got their serving of zucchini in until I told them afterwards......Love it!!!!
Sprouted wheat (you can use white whole wheat in a pinch): 4 cups
Milk: 2 cups
Butter (or Coconut oil) softened : 1/4 cup
Pure Vanilla: 1 tablespoon
Eggs: 3 large
Sea Salt: 1/2 tablespoon
Cinnamon: 1 tablespoon
Aluminum free baking powder: 1 tablespoon
Zucchini: 1 large grated finely
Pure Maple Syrup: 3/4 cup
1. Preheat oven to 375 and spray (or butter) a large bread pan.
2. In a stand mixer, place wheat, sea salt, cinnamon and baking powder and with a fork, incorporate your dry ingredients until well blended. Add in milk, butter or coconut oil(softened), eggs, and maple syrup, and blend together on low until all ingredients are mixed together well.
3. Add in the zucchini and stir until well incorporated.
4. Pour mixture into a large bread pan (sprayed or buttered).
5. Place in preheated oven, and bake on 375 degrees for approximately 45 to 50 minutes or until a fork inserted in the middle comes out clean.
6. Serve with some yummy butter, and prepare to inhale!!!!
What you get nutritionwise for your pregnant / breastfeeding body:
Whole grain: 1 serving
Vitamin C vegetable: 1 serving
This post is featured on:
Pennywise Platter at The Nourishing Gourmet Simple Lives Thursday at Gnowfglins